Sunday 26 June 2011

Legotropolis

I organized my nephews Lego collection the other night. He’s away for a few days , and I’m looking after the cats. Figured it was as good a time as any to get in there and dung it out. My own Lego collection is hyper organized. I’m sure some ass will feel compelled to comment that I’m a little too obsessive compulsive about it, but they can eat me. I enjoy building – I don’t enjoy searching. Having to spend an hour trying to locate one tiny piece among tens of thousands of pieces – is a colossal turn off. I like being able to see at a glance what I need, and being able to determine if I have the right number or perhaps colour to determine right off the bat whether an idea is even doable. I have to take some time to put everything back in its place when I take an old project apart, but that is a small price to pay for the sheer pleasure of just being able to get on with the building.

We’ve been talking about rebuilding all the StarWars kits that he has that have all been ripped apart. I tried to build one by sorting through three big bins and I gave up after a while. Now that everything is easy to find, making them will actually be fun. And then we can have an epic Lego Star Wars battle.

A lot of the planks and bricks I stack up into one big block. Since they all stick together anyway, may as well organize them that way. Little finicky pieces – the ones I’m most concerned about, get put into little ziplock bags.

I noticed that the conglomerations of bricks and planks ended up looking a bit architectural, so for fun I snapped some quick pics of a Lego cityscape.

2 comments:

  1. You can always get more you know.
    http://shop.lego.com/en-US/?domainredir=www.legoshop.com

    ReplyDelete