Tuesday 21 June 2011

Goalie Drills

The boy is showing a lot of interest in soccer, and specifically in being a goalie. Happily went to the park and ran some drills with him for a half hour, longer probably. I have very little patience for watching any sport, but I will happily play them. Get wound around the axle about supporting any NHL team? No thank you. Go out and play ball hockey for two hours? Yes please. All the World Cup hoopla makes me ill, but helping my little pal get better at something he expresses an interest in and demonstrates some aptitude for I will gladly do. Come at him from different angles, lots of fancy footwork to deke him out, kick the ball with different amounts of force. And he’s definitely showing some ability. Lots of laughs.

I hate running. To run in a straight line for an hour - boring. But the running I do in soccer I love. Jog, run, sprint, kick, run to the side, stop, walk, run, run, run backwards, sprint to the side, slow down, sprint, kick - that variety I really enjoy. Great cardio workout, without the tedium of running.

His dad came by later and played with us for a while, and then I accidentally kicked the ball into his arm - the arm that he had Steve Moore tattoo for 4 hours on Friday. Oh I felt bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment