Monday 20 January 2014

Bibliophilia: Fall of Giants & Winter of the World – Ken Follett

Winter of the World – Ken Follett

I think the only other Follett book I’ve ever read was Eye of the Needle, and that was a long time ago. 

If you like learning a bit more about history, but would like it packaged in a grandiose multi-family, multi-generational romance, this is for you. Dealing with Welsh, English, German, Russian and American families and how their lives intersect, it covers the grand sweep of the years leading up to WW1 and the Russian Revolution, and then subsequently the interwar years, Depression and WW2.

I enjoyed them enough, but mainly because of the aspects of history I wasn’t so familiar with. Albeit that they are episodes told through fictional accounts, I think having that history presented through the eyes of the individual characters makes it a bit more graspable than an over-all view presented in a standard history book.

Not the best things I’ve ever read, but I liked them enough that I will read the third one when it comes out.

1 comment:

  1. If you like Follett, Pillars of the Earth was great too; but it's sequel World Without End was more like a repeat.

    ReplyDelete