Tuesday 20 May 2014

Bibliophilia: V for Vendetta – Alan Moore

V for Vendetta – Alan Moore


I know this has been in lots of “10 graphic novels everyone should read” lists.

And I, being a fan of graphic novels, and generally being a fan of Alan Moore, had never read this.

And it didn’t do much for me at all. It is very much a product of 1980’s Britain, both in style and substance, and I question whether it holds up well today. The art was dark and high contrasted and I found it hard to follow in quite a few places. The characters didn’t speak to me at all. I hated them. The political posturing I thought was trite. I found the whole thing turgid.

I can recommend many graphic novels people should read. This isn’t one of them.

And I think it may be one of the few instances where the movie may indeed be better than the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment