Tuesday 2 February 2010

Typeface Design – Thornaments

When FreeHand 3 came out, one of the new features was a blend command. I had the cheeky idea to try blending two of the most ubiquitous typefaces, Helvetica and Times New Roman together. Nothing spectacular, but kind of fun nonetheless. I did one where I would pick (as close as possible) a point on corresponding sides. Top left point to top left point, etc. This one came out looking not too bad. I did another one where I picked opposite points. Top left point to bottom right point. This one came out looking really distorted. I never thought all that much of the results, so I never used it much.

But the second one gave me an idea. When I blended the octothorp (what the automated voice on your phone tells you is the pound symbol) I got some really wacky geometric shapes. I tried blending different points together. Top right to top left. Bottom right to center. Etc. Each time I got a different shape. I then tried blending some of the new shapes together. This gave me more new shapes. I spent a few evenings on this , and eventually ended up with 600 characters, spread out over 8 fonts.
These have been used as back ground patterns, textures, borders, logos, even as a crown in an illustration of Ganesh.
Examples of logos that I used them in.

No comments:

Post a Comment