Monday 28 March 2011

Signage: Ribesa Tools

I’ve talked on here before how so much signage is pretty dismal. Another trend in the world of signage that I have some misgivings about is the usage of plotter cut vinyl lettering. Pretty cool in some respects, the ease, etc. but for the most part it seems to have a very limited life span. Compared to good old painted signs which last for a hell of a long time (I know, I know, the old sign paints were laden with lead and all that), vinyl letters seem to give up the ghost pretty quickly. But...the fact that they don’t last that long and start peeling off and being adversely affected by wind and sun and rain, leads to some neat, unintended effects due to decay. I do like random decay and how it affects art. 

But, if it was me, I would want the reverse process. Cut out the letters, and use everything around them as a template, and paint inside them.

1 comment:

  1. Surprised to see this here!
    The sign was installed in 1990.
    We had made new letters out of aluminum but we never got around to installing them.
    As of October 2011 we closed up shop for good.

    Richard, manager of Ribesa Tool & Die.

    ReplyDelete