Thursday 28 January 2010

Annapolis Basin, Nova Scotia (part 2)

After I came back from my jaunt to Kejimkujik, I decided to take a wander to the gloriously named Smiths Cove Lookoff Provincial Park. I was told that what had been there hadn’t been paid much mind in many years. The topo map told me that it was the highest point around there, so I decided to find out what I could see.

Again I took the old railway line, now a nice trail that runs right by the families place, out there.
Their place, with the swell new garage.
I came to a trail that looked as though it might lead down to the water, so I decided to head down it to see where I ended up. And I came to a beach with the water ebbed out, but the tide rapidly flowing back in
Bear Island in the foreground, Digby Gap off to the left, the North Mountain in the distance, that I had traversed the week before.
Ghillie suit from the deep.


Fun to beachcomb for a while. And pretty crazy to see how fast the tide comes rolling in.

Just before coming to the Bear River, I passed through a ravine that had been blasted out of the rock to allow the railway line to go through.

If I’d been with someone and had some climbing gear I’d have been tempted to climb the walls.
Pinkney’s Point.
Abandoned rail bridge over the mouth of the Bear River. Pinkney’s Point is off to the left.
Like the rail bridge over the Joggins, this one has also been left to deteriorate. But with this one they’ve gone to the trouble to dig out at the bases to prevent people from using it. Mainly ATVers. A determined walker could still clamber up there.
The rail bridge from the new Highway 101 bridge.
Looking south down the Bear River, towards the town of the same name.
Bear Island in the foreground and the Digby Gap in the background.
Digby in the distance.
The trip up and down showed a few more great places for rock climbing.
Can’t wait to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment