Tuesday 5 July 2011

Now this is a great idea! High Ground Gear HG830

My quest for the ultimate gear set up revolves around the interface between a pack and some sort of second line/possibles bag set-up.

I need a pack to carry certain items – shelter, food, spare clothing, insulation, etc. – and then a smaller, separate bag of some sort to carry the other, oft accessed items – compass, map, multi-tool, bug repellent, binoculars, etc. I’m happy with my pack choices, but the bag for all my odds and ends I’m still seeking the be all and end all. I’ve been working on something for the last little while, that I think might address all or most of my needs. I think. I hope.

Part of the problem for me is that all my packs have a waistbelt. Makes carrying any sort of load much more comfortable, but it does interfere with carrying much on the belt. Attaching anything to the packs waistbelt makes it very awkward when I ditch the pack and head off away from it. Having to undo it and re-attach it all is just a nuisance. I’ve tried shoulderbags, and they’re okay, but above a certain weight become very uncomfortable, and they tend to swing around a lot during dynamic movements. I’ve tried some other approaches. I concocted something that works to a degree, the Thomni Belt, and while it addresses certain needs, it still has shortfalls.

Checking out Soldier Systems to see what is new and exciting, I saw this idea from High Ground Gear, the HG830. A modular platform that can be set up to the end users own requirements. Pretty cool, but what really excited me is that the belt is a two part affair that can be separated. The pack itself can be shucked, but a modular belt stays attached to the user, on which items the user deems important can be attached. In the case of a soldier it might be a pistol, some ammo, a radio, etc. For me it would be a more genteel assortment of items.

The idea of having a water bottle, compass, multi-tool, binoculars, and whatever else I want to get at often and easily, on the belt line, regardless of whether I have a pack on or not is really intriguing. It takes the idea of a battle belt to a whole other level.

Just one of those forehead slapping, how obvious instances. Kudos to the designers at High Ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment