Sunday 31 July 2011

Aqua-Velvet

No, not the tacky mens cologne.

Just stumbled across this terrific site. Essentially a compendium of mid 20th century graphic design, illustration and typography (with a few other miscellaneous things the brains behind the curtain, Amy Henderson, decides to showcase.) Only recently have I begun to appreciate how fantastic the stuff being done in the years before I was born, really is. I have only gone through a small fraction of the entries, and I suspect I will spend many enjoyable hours learning about brilliant artists too many of us likely forget about in the rush for the new, the exciting, the novel. Slow down, and realize great stuff was being done in the middle of the 20th century. It deserves recognition too. Simpler, less flashy, but often much more structurally sound.

http://aqua-velvet.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment