Saturday 14 August 2010

S.o.t.D. – Starlight – Model 500


I really like the related video feature in YouTube. I’ll often load up a queue with a bunch of tracks that I’m unfamiliar with, and let it play while I work. Some tracks I don’t care for, and sometimes I discover a gem.

I had this track on a mixed tape many years ago and totally loved it. Never knew what it was called though. Thrilled to hear that familiar bass line again. Turns out that it’s Juan Atkins. Simple, almost absurdly so, but couldn’t get enough of it. Most people won’t really get this, decry it as monotonous, but then they undoubtedly don’t grasp that a lot of techno records really aren’t, and aren’t meant to be, finished songs. They’re merely DJ tools, a groove that can be built on. Even as a possibly raw track, I think this is really evocative despite its relative simplicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment