Saturday 7 August 2010

Sassafras Point


The trail to access Sassafras Point had been closed for a few years. While I had never been down it and curious to check it out, I respected the fact that the need to allow habitat to restore overrode my curiosity.

While coming back from a hike recently I saw that it had been re-opened. I had already walked about 25-30 clicks, and decided to leave it for another day. Went last weekend to check it out.
Sunning turtle and hiding turtle.
Canoe on Cootes.
I could be wrong, but acorns seem to be doing really well this summer.
Cootes Paradise with Cockpit Island in the foreground and Spencer Gorge in the distance.
Overlooking Westdale Inlet.
 The narrow trail as it reaches the tip of Sassafras Point. Regrettably, and probably one of the reasons why it was closed for so long, places like this seem to be a magnet for scrotes. Sure enough, there was a half assed fire pit, garbage and smashed beer bottles. Sure, it’s a nice spot to have a little fire, have a beer, but if you can bring it in, you can bring it out. I find spots to have a discreet fire and an imbibement of choice too. But no one is any the wiser when I leave that spot.
The view from the end, with Cootes and Cockpit Island.
Westdale Inlet.
Pair of kayakers on Cootes.
Kingfisher Point with the Escarpment in the background.
Trail out.
Ravine Valley Trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment