Tuesday 25 August 2015

Spencer’s Gorge, August 22, 2015

I was delighted to have my pal Michelle and her son Liam come down to Hamilton, and give me an opportunity to show them some of the natural beauty to be found in this perceived to be grimy, industrial city. They wanted to see some water falls, and this city has lots of them to offer, what with the Niagara Escarpment running right through it. We had a quick War of 1812 historical interlude, when I showed the ramparts in the Hamilton Cemetery. Took them to Borer’s Falls, where we saw a half dozen people. Stopped in the bucolic village of Dundas for an ice cream. Then went to Spencer’s Gorge where there were loooots of people. Took in Webster’s Falls and the underperforming Tew’s Falls. Then walked out to Dundas Peak.
Liam and I on the trail up to Borer’s Falls. (Photo by Michelle.)
Me and the YakBakDekPak, Ouch’mups, Slurp’mups, and Map’mups. (Photo by Michelle.)

(I was a schmuck and forgot my camera in the car, and I didn’t feel like jogging back to get it. Live in the moment and all that. So no photos of that part of the hike. Reports from previous hikes.)


Webster’s Falls.
Fishies.
Didn’t get a very good picture of Tew’s Falls.
A glimpse of Spencer’s Gorge.
When my career as a hedge fund manager takes off, I think I’ll buy this as one of my homes....
....just because this is the view.
At about the halfway point to Dundas Peak.
The view from the peak. Looking back the way we came up the Spencer’s Gorge and west across the Dundas Valley. The Niagara Escarpment curves around and can be seen on the other side.
Taking in the view.

No comments:

Post a Comment