Saturday 21 May 2011

Heaven

I hope if there is a Heaven, it looks something like this. (photo by Jason Irwin)

French River area in spring, and the water was very high. We had passed through in the fall, and an area that we had to drag the canoe through, I could now not touch bottom with my paddle, no matter how far I leaned out, or how far down I reached. We explored up a channel, and managed to make it through into a lake that I doubt is accessed by humans much. Saw the biggest deer I’ve ever seen in my life, (I thought it was a big horse at first glance), a turtle the size of an overturned wheel barrow, martens not in the least bit bothered by humans.

We were worried about getting back out again a few days later, but we managed to squeeze through, although the water level had dropped a bit. Talking to some locals, they said they hadn’t seen the water this high in a long time. 

Yeah, a large secluded lake, lots of fish and wildlife, practically no one else around, trails to wander around on, spectacular weather...that’s pretty much my idea of Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment