Thursday 26 May 2011

Northern Survival PDF

Northern Survival was published in 1968 by the Education Division, Northern Administration Branch, Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development. (A branch of the Canadian government that doesn’t even exist anymore)

It features sections on First Aid, Travel in Northern Terrain, Shelter (including a fairly detailed section on building igloos, and life inside one), Navigation, Knots, Water, Food (including identifying edible plants, hunting, fishing, foraging and trapping), Fire, Signalling, Care and Use of Equipment and Clothing, and a few other miscellaneous tips and techniques.


Brutal production value; double spaced, typewritten, single sided pages, illustrations are “okay”.
I haven’t jazzed it up at all. If it was printed crooked on the page, it’s crooked in the PDF. If the typewriter filled the counter of a letter with ink schmutz, it appears on the PDF.

The Cerlox binding on it was as old as me, and had started to fall apart. I took it in to work, to make a double sided copy and re-bind it. I then had the bright idea to scan it in and turn it into a .pdf file. I figured others might like this, and when a slow afternoon rolled around… There was no copyright on it, so I’m hoping that’s not an issue. I’m not sharing this to make money, I just want to share useful info with others. If someone from the Canadian government tells me to take it down, well then I’ll take it down.


It’s by no means the greatest survival manual ever published. Not compared to the .pdf of the Swedish Army Arctic Warfare manual I got a while back. But it’s still got some useful stuff in it, and I guess it could also be viewed as a bit of history too. Plus it’s free. (although if you want to send something groovy back through the ether, that’s always appreciated.)

No comments:

Post a Comment