Wednesday 13 June 2012

Bibliophilia: Kill Shakespeare: Vol. 1, A Sea of Troubles – Conor McCreery, Anthony Del Col, Andy Belanger

Kill Shakespeare: Vol. 1, A Sea of Troubles – Conor McCreery, Anthony Del Col, Andy Belanger

I hated English in high school, and Shakespeare was on the list of reasons why. I have read voraciously since I was a child, certainly have all my life, and like to think that I can write very well, but I absolutely detested the way English was taught. Having A Separate Peace painstakingly dissected, and Romeo & Juliet parsed down to dust - yawn. It was only after that, long after that, that I began to gain an appreciation for the Bard.

Like Fables (which I have raved about on here before) this takes known stories and characters and puts them into new situations. Heroes (Hamlet, Juliet, Falstaff, Othello) and villains (Richard III, Lady Macbeth, Iago) are written into entirely new scenarios, in a story to either kill or protect a reclusive wizard named William Shakespeare. Recommended.

Canadian writers and artists too, eh.

No comments:

Post a Comment