Monday 9 July 2012

Deer

I set off for a wander a while back, and left my camera hooked up to my computer so it could chug through processing a bunch of pictures. I stopped for a while to sit in a grove of trees. After a few minutes of being still, with the light fading, a deer came sauntering along, maybe 4 or 5 meters away from me. Walked over to a bush about 10 meters away from me, chewed for a while, then headed off again. I emerged from the grove of trees I had been standing in, it looked back to look at me and bolted. Really deer? You didn’t realize I was there?

Kinda bummed I didn’t have my camera with me to record the moment.  But a fun encounter anyway.

A few nights later I was back in the same general area. I was absorbed in watching three hawks. One sat in a tree above me, calling out to two others in a grove of trees behind me. One flew over, and after a while they both flew over to where the third one was.
(Sorry about the crappy picture quality. One day I will buy a better camera.)

Being caught up in looking up, I failed to notice a deer had walked once again to within a few meters of me. 
Either I am more stealthy, and less smelly than I knew, or deer have become pretty inured to people around here. I suspect the latter. Should make hunting season a little easier in these parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment