Friday 25 September 2009

Hammock – Kejimkujik

Have I mentioned that I really love my hammock and that hammock camping is just the best thing ever?

Here it is in various spots in Kejimkujik in beautiful Nova Scotia.
I keep the tarp and the hammock in separate SnakeSkins. If I want to have room to do things beneath the tarp – cook, crafts, pack, etc. – I can leave the hammock furled up. If it’s a nice night and I want to look at the stars, I leave the tarp furled up. The SnakeSkins are nice as well since they are the stuff sacks and can be shoved into odd spaces inside the pack to fill up room. Being able to set up the tarp first means that I can create a dry(ish) spot to work under if I get to camp in rainy conditions.
I got the larger hex fly in addition to the stock diamond fly. It’s 3oocm (120") by 335 cm (132") and 70Denier polyurethane coated nylon. While it does weigh quite a bit more, the luxury of all the room to work under and the assurance of more coverage is worth it. The weight savings of a sil-nylon fly would be great, but I really doubt it would have kept me dry in some of the relentless pounding I experienced a week earlier in the Annapolis Valley. This fly has stood up to some mad wind and rain storms and kept me dry as a bone.
I usually put my rain coat and pants under the tarp, simply by snapping them over the hammock ropes, both so they can dry, but also to have them quickly accessible when I jump out.
On the ground beneath the hammock I have a MEC Tarn 2 footprint. Gives me a dry place to sit, spread stuff out, etc.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    I work for Nova Scotia Tourism in social media and I just came across your post. I've never heard of hammock camping before. That is very cool! Nice and cozy off the ground and not so much to pack. Question though...do you rock a little in the wind?

    I found this really interesting. I'm going to share this with the folks at Bay Hammocks here. They make handmade organic hammocks.

    Thanks for sharing. Glad you enjoyed Keji!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Cynthia,

    Camping with a hammock has completely revolutionized the way I camp. Unless I’m going somewhere with no trees, I will never use a tent again.

    As far as weight goes, it’s not any less bulky or heavy than camping with a tent. It may even be a smidgeon more.

    And with the Hennessy Hammock that I have, there really is no sway. A tiny little bit, but the guy wires on the side do a good job of making it quite stable.

    The hammocks used for camping aren’t much like the traditional backyard hammock.

    There is a whole forum dedicated to the subject, www.hammockforums.net
    And you’ll be surprised at how much info there is and how many different manufacturers there are.

    Hey, if you work for N.S. Tourism, can you shoot me a quick email with how to contact you? I have some ideas for you folks regarding ways to promote certain activities.

    exploriment at gmail dot com

    Thanks,
    Thomas

    ReplyDelete