Tuesday 6 July 2010

Frederick Retention Leash Bracelet


I’ve tried one or two different approaches to keeping important stuff attached to my person. Being in a canoe makes me a bit paranoid about dropping my camera into the drink. I was recently taking some photos of packs at the edge of the Escarpment, and three staghorn sumac branches obscured a clear view across the valley. Lying on my belly, I reached down over the edge and cut them away with my knife. Having it slip from my hand then would have been a bad thing. (I guess it could be argued that hanging out over the edge of a precipice to cut away branches was both a dangerous and a bad thing to do, but hey.)

This isn’t my idea, but rather that of a mister John Frederick. He posted it on the wonderful EDCForums and I had to make one for myself.
I made two, one out of 550 cord and one out of 2mm kernmantle cord, and two sizes of McGizmo clips. The sewing is a bit rough, but I just did it quickly to try the idea out. I want to whip the ends yet, but I’ll get around to that. At some point. Soon.
Slide the running end through the ring to open it up enough to slip over the hand, then bring it round and clip it onto the ring.
And if whatever I have clipped in slips from my hand, it only goes as far as the length of the leash.
What at first glance appears to be just a bracelet, also serves a useful purpose. 

Two drawbacks to it that I’ve found are that the clip and ring sit right at the point where my wrist rests on the desktop as I use my mouse. Not so comfortable. The other issue, (and this is a far reach) is that it’s a snare. If something was to catch and pull, it would tighten more and more. The probability of that is remote, but it is something to think about. The sort of wrist loop that comes with a digital camera, I can still slip my hand out of if it was ever to snag on something.

No comments:

Post a Comment