Saturday 31 July 2010

Street Art – Abandoned Federal Building

I tend to be pretty ambivalent about a lot of graffiti/street art. 99% of taggers are pathetic and if where they’re found happens to be behind a building, away from scrutinizing eyes, that’s a perfect spot to administer some wall to wall counseling. On the other hand, I think Banksy is incredible, and I absolutely love what he does. One is actually a really good artist, who makes witty, clever comments about the world and the state of it. And the rest are unimaginative jackoffs akin to a dog pissing on a wall. I guess that’s the difference. 

Every once in a while I see street art that I like. The stuff I tend to gravitate towards is non permanent public art. Chalk, tape, posters, on a building about to be torn down anyway. Make a statement, but don’t be obnoxious about it,

Saw these whimsical portraits on the abandoned Federal Building on Main Street yesterday. No idea who did them, not spectacular, but I liked them. Maybe it’s just that they’re a refreshing change from the usual bereft of imagination scribbles that blight this town.

No comments:

Post a Comment