Sunday 18 July 2010

Maxpedition 4x10

While I have some misgivings about the owner of this company, their products are well thought out and rock solid.

Got this Maxpedition 10x4 pouch a few years ago and it has proven to be a useful way to carry a mini kit. As much as water is a heavy pain in the ass to carry around, there is just no getting around it. Water is one of, if not the most essential things I need. I was looking for a way to carry both a 1 liter bottle, a cup that it could nestle in, the means to purify the water, and a way to boil water. Some other things in addition to that would be a bonus.
The pouch consists of a main compartment with a zippered top, a small pouch on the front with PALS webbing on the front, PALS on both sides and on the back also. The sides also feature D-rings to clip a strap into, and the back featured an H&K snap hook (which I saw no need for and removed).
Paracord fobs were immediately installed.
While this is what most people would attach to a pack or rig, it could conceivably also be attached by the sides if one was so inclined.
Drain hole on the bottom.
Top of the lid has a Velcro area for cool guy patches.
The pouch on the front is 6" x 3" x 1.5" and has a strip of 1" elastic along the back to help hold stuff in place.
The main pouch, which is...10" x 4", is padded and lined with 420D packcloth. Does a nice job of insulating the bottle - either keeping it hot or cold. Also serves as a barrier when the bottle is filled with boiling hot water.
The bottle is the Guyot Designs Standard stainless steel bottle with a HumanGear capCAP. Heavy, but the nice thing about it is that in a pinch you can boil water inside it. If someone could just come out with a titanium Nalgene bottle.
A shoulder strap that I have that I really like is the Kifaru one, but it has side release clips rather than a hook. No problem, just thread the female repair buckles through the loop that holds the D-ring.
I know a shoulder strap isn’t anything that ooh wow, but this one is pretty sweet. Kinda like everything Kifaru does.
Here it is attached to the side of a Kifaru Scout. The front pouch contains a SteriPen, as well as a Gram Weenie stove, a fuel bottle, wind screen and primer tray.
Another thing I carried in the 4x10 is a SteriPen pre-filter. The SP purifies but doesn’t filter. Any floaty bits, sediment etc. would end up in the bottle without it. This works very well. Quick and effective. It comes in two parts, the larger part that fits on the bottle and then the smaller cartridge that screws into that. In order to carry it all in the 4x10, I carried the large part in the main compartment atop the bottle, and the smaller cartridge in the front pocket with the SP and the stove set up.

With the bottle and all the other things in the main compartment, it interferes a bit with the lid zipping closed. Doable, but it does make it a bit of an issue.


I’ve also found that the pre-filter fits better on the threads of the plastic Nalgene than it does on the threads of the metal Nalgene. It does, but somehow it doesn’t screw on quite as well.
The primer tray and wind screen wrap nicely around the fuel bottle and the Gram Weenie stove fits on top of the fuel bottle spout.
Very light, very compact, very efficient.
The SteriPen in action.


I got this from Fenix Tactical and I have to say they were great to deal with. I ordered it and had it sent to my work. Shortly before ordering it, a gym and a mid level marketing company moved in on either side of where we were. All sorts of unknown people coming and going. One day I had to go take care of something at another site and my coworker was sick. After several weeks of waiting I contacted them to inquire where my package was. Fenix Tactical claimed that they had indeed sent it. I explained that I had never received it. I suspect that on the day the site was unattended the package was delivered, left at the front door, and some shitstain swiped it. They promptly sent another one, this time with a signature required. That to me is really fantastic, above and beyond customer service. They didn’t know me from Adam, I could have been a swindling lowlife, trying to score a free one, but they believed me and got it out to me. Thank you. I’ve bought several flashlights from them as well, and the service was always excellent. They deserve your business, especially if you’re in Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment