Friday 24 December 2010

Night in a wikiup

I cobbled this wikiup together a few years back, and it’s still standing. Decided to go and spend a night in it. Spent a lot of hours gathering up bags of leaves to build up the walls. (Not necessarily something that anyone would carry with them, but if anyone ever decides to build one of these for fun, close to home on their property, a leaf rake would be a hugely helpful tool to have. One of those hoops with a handle to hold plastic bags open as well.)
That’s about as far as I got before dark. It would have to do. It really needed two, three times the load of leaves I managed to gather.
I would ordinarily have made a shelter much smaller than this. I opted to work with this framework since it was already standing. It had been a long time since I had built a debris shelter, and I guess I forgot how much work gathering up the leaves required to cover a shelter this size was.
I guess I should have thought to move my stuff out of the way before snapping a photo of the interior. Whoops.
I had good insulation with me, good underpad, layers to wear, but it was still a chilly night. For one person, for sleeping, a shelter this size is probably too big. But if you’re in an area for a length of time, a shelter like this might make sense as a living/working area.

No comments:

Post a Comment