Saturday 18 December 2010

SteriPen Pouch

I’ve spoken on here before about the SteriPen Adventurer. Aspects of it I really like. The CR123 battery issue (there are different power levels in CR123’s and some are “lesser” quality. Hard to gauge what constitutes that.) was admittedly a bit of a piss off. Now as long as you buy “better” quality batteries, ie more expensive batteries, you’re ostensibly good to go.

I figure it still has a place in my gear arsenal (once my annoyance with the battery issue had subsided and I had bought a few “good” batteries).

The pouch that comes with it is like so many pouches and the like provided by the OEM, okay, but not great. Black neoprene with a velcro closure and a small belt loop.

What I wanted was to be able to keep the SteriPen with the water carrier. The pouch as it was couldn’t really be attached to any pouch.

I opted to modify what was there, rather than starting from scratch. The neoprene does help to pad it, so I just built over top of it.
Crappy pictures I know. But what do you expect with black.
The Velcro just before I removed it.
Some 420 D Cordura along the back and flap. Another pouch that I’m trying my Cord Lattice Attachment System Pattern on. (Still trying to find a way to get it all perfectly straight and orderly. It never is.)

It makes it all heavier, but since it’ll be on the outside, I wanted it to be better protected. And the buckle also adds weight, but I find myself opening and closing this several times a day as I replenish the aqua. Velcro I find just doesn’t stand up well to being endlessly opened and closed.
The sides of the pouch had mesh to allow water to drain out. I didn’t want to close this off, so I covered the body of the pouch with mesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment