Wednesday 4 November 2009

The Tall Book

Within a one week period I read an interview in Macleans with Arianne Cohen, author of The Tall Book, as well as an article about her and the book in Vogue.

I loved her comments that to be tall is to be public and that it means you constantly have a spotlight on you. And that it’s alienating to not fit in. Both very succinct points. To be very visible to a world you don’t fit into is a strange position to be in. And we have no choice but to accept it. Someone asked me once what I’d ask for if a genie came out of a bottle. “To be a short woman for a week.” A different gender just to see what that’s like, but to be anonymous for a while just seems like more of a novelty.

I jotted off a quick little note saying how much I’d enjoyed the interview and that I was on the hunt for her book and looked forward to reading it. I also included something I’d written about being tall and how it affects certain activities.

She sent me back a very nice letter, and mentioned that she’s working on a “users guide to being tall.” I replied with some info and businesses that may be of help to fellow talls. Some things that are a bit more obscure than just where to get pants that fit. Bespoke high end outdoor clothing, longer than average canoe paddles, built expressly for the customer backpacks, and where to get wetsuits and drysuits.

So if you’re tall, or know someone that’s tall, go out and buy her book! The link at the top of the page has a link where you can purchase the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment