Wednesday 4 November 2009

Pole Holders

After being somewhat resistant to them for a while, I’ve started using trekking poles. And to be honest, I’m kicking myself a bit for taking so long to come around to their benefits. When I’m just walking on level ground without a load I don’t think they’re necessary, but when going up or down a hill they start demonstrating how they help. And when burdened with a heavy pack, poles really shine. They not only make you more stable, but also take much of the load off your lower extremities. When just walking, being a biped is great, but when a human needs to be a beast of burden, being a quasi-quadriped is a good way to go. Not to mention that your arms and shoulders get a workout too.

They also serve other purposes as well. They can be used to hold up a tarp, I’m designing
a hammock where they serve as spreader bars, and I’m about to sew up a camp chair which uses them as the back support. I’ve even got the idea floating around in my head to see if I can make a rudimentary fishing pole from one.

But there are times when I just want to have them out of the way for a bit. Sometimes I just need to have them strapped to the outside of my pack.
I thought of jury rigging some web dominators.
They’re a handy little device for managing excess webbing on packs.
Slot the plastic part on to the end of the webbing, roll it up and clip the elastic cord into the notches on the side.
Easy to undo, unroll and roll back up.
I only really use these in a few select spots on my pack, straps that actually need to be adjusted a lot. In other places, where straps need to stay rolled up almost all the time, I’ve sewn on a piece of velcro hook side up jutting  from one side and another piece of velcro loop side up jutting from the other side. Roll it up and the velcro holds it all in a neat package. A bit lighter and a bit neater.

But I wondered if a
web dominator and a cord lock might not make a handy pole holder.
I put one at the bottom…
…and one at the top. Both are centered over the bar tack on PALS webbing. Slide the cord lock down, pop the elastic cord out of the notches, and put the poles in.
Cinch the cordlock down and off you go. Getting them out is as simple. Here I have them on the face of the pack, but I could just as easily put them on the sides. One on each side if I wanted to.

But I think I may just get rid of the WD altogether and just use a cordlock and elastic cord. Sew it or tie it on somehow.


The poles I’ve been using are Leki Super Makulus. My friend Andrew has had them sitting idle for a long time and figured I’d get more use out of them. He got them about 15 years ago. When I went and checked out trekking poles I realized that they were top of the line poles – 15 years ago. The technology going into poles has come a long way in that time. I really like the FlickLocks on Black Diamond poles. Big improvement over twist locks. But the big problem I have with poles is, surprise, surprise, I wish they were a bit longer. One model that I like is the Stoney Point Hike ’n Hunt. It collapses shorter than most, and it extends longer than most. The fact that there is a stud to screw a camera into is another big plus.
I’m still shopping around, but they’re looking like strong contenders.

No comments:

Post a Comment