Friday 9 April 2010

S.o.t.D. – Deadlines – Skinny Puppy

Deadlines (400 Blows Remix) – Skinny Puppy

Remix by 400 Blows of the classic track, Deadlines.

I’m no longer an angst ridden teenager, but I still think Skinny Puppy remain atop the pinnacle of greatness. I was already into a lot of experimental, electronic, industrial music, but hearing Remission for the first time absolutely blew my mind. They took all the elements I’d heard and put them together into one amazing and cohesive package. They then combined that with intriguing lyrics, a great image, and an awesome live show. The result was something utterly unique.

I’ve seen them live 17 times. I have an extremely jaundiced view of bands that haven’t put anything out in 20 years, who then go on tour. It’s nostalgia and it frankly disgusts me. Very few bands I was listening to 25, 30 years ago I want to go and see live if they came around on tour. Especially if it’s little more than a limp attempt to recapture former glory. But I eagerly went to see SP a while back and they were phenomenal. Mainly because they’re still putting new stuff out, and it’s still utterly fascinating and compelling. Hell, the stuff they were putting out way back in the mid 80’s stands head and shoulders above what many are doing now. What they’re doing now reinvents all that and takes it off in a new direction.

Kevin Crompton is a musical genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment