Friday 2 April 2010

Exped SI Cushion 3.1

Perhaps not the most glamorous item in my collection of kit, but a pretty valuable one nonetheless.

Since I’m an avowed hammocker, I don’t bother with a ground pad anymore. If my hammock was a double bottom model with a slot that fit it perfectly, I would. But trying to get on a pad inside a hammock and trying to stay on there is an exercise in applying suction to spherical objects. But that pad was handy those times when I need to sit on the ground. Not only for some padding for my delicate posterior, but more importantly to prevent body heat from being drawn out through the ground, or conduction as its called. And not getting a soaking wet ass from sitting on damp ground goes hand in hand with that.

To prevent that from happening I got this seat pad from Exped, the SI Cushion 3.1. Available in a few different colours, I of course opted for the stealthier green colour. (I think the model shown here has been changed somewhat and the colour options are somewhat more limited now also.)
In its packaged state it measures in at 18 cm (7") long by 10 cm (4") wide. Its circumference is 28 cm (11"). 
Next to an MSR Titan Kettle for size comparison. 
All I have to weigh stuff is a pre-war Dutch postal scale (which isn’t really hyper accurate) and it measures it as 170 grams (6 oz.) with the stuff sack.
The cushion is self inflating, but given that all it takes is one puff to inflate it, that’s what I usually do. Although I never over inflate it. I figure that’s where problems with pads like this start. Over inflated, on hard ground, and then plunking your full weight on it, just can’t be good.
It’s constructed with high frequency welds, and has proven to be airtight.
42 cm (16½") long by 32.5 cm (12¾") wide by 2.5 cm to 3 cm (1" to 1¼") thick.
The laminated, polyester fabric is UV and abrasion resistant, and also slip proof.
There are loops on all four corners. Useful for lashing it to a canoe seat for a little added comfort.
If I bother taking the stuff sack, I’ll tie it to one of the corner loops, both to keep the two together and also to prevent the bag from blowing away.
The loops are also useful for staking it to the ground, or to tie it to a pack or a rock in order to prevent it blowing away.
Some might want to forgo the stuff sack altogether, and just stuff it flat in the front or back of a pack, to save a little weight. But the stuff sack, while not water tight, will help keep some of the damp and dirt that inevitably gets on the bottom of it, off all the other stuff in a pack.
A field repair kit is also included, with some squares of the green bee hive pattern material.

I generally use this in combination with the Kifaru Field Chair. But it is about to be replaced with a multi-purpose item of my own making soon. Sorry Kifaru.

All in all, great little bit of kit. I suppose I could live without it, but being warm and comfy rates as very important in my books.

No comments:

Post a Comment