Saturday 12 June 2010

Artspiration – Bryce Huffman


Me and the tattoo crew went to the James Street Art Crawl last night. After ascertaining that it wasn’t raining out, we all sauntered over to a packed James Street.

Saw a neat Tshirt in a window that said “Art is the New Steel.” Quite like that sentiment, as this city needs to diversify from its erstwhile industrial base.

We checked out the recently renovated Hamilton Hotel (nicely done) which has studio spaces for artists. Lots of different stuff, but nothing too terribly original. Photographic portraits, landscape paintings, textile art. Technically well done, but not breaking any new ground.

Until we walked into one studio. I immediately realized that Andrew had mentioned buying a piece from him recently. Young guy, fresh out of Sheridan, works at a local art supply store.

Really dig what he’s doing. I like his style and it’s obvious he’s working hard to forge his own path. Nice to see someone of his calibre here in this city. 

Check him out.


The rest of the night was fun too. Checked out a few different places, drank some fancy imported beer, chatted with friends, met some new people. Everyone wanted to go to the ballet, but I didn’t feel like dealing with any hassles at the door over what I all had on me. And my head was buzzing with some ideas that I wanted to jot down. So I went home and worked on stuff until I couldn’t keep my eyes open any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment