Sunday 20 June 2010

My view for the last year

My camera for the last two years has been a Fuji FinePix A610. While I would have loved a far better camera, it was what I had, and I made do with what I had. (I is a po’ boy.) And I’ve certainly taken a pretty crazy amount of photos with it. Close to 20,000. It has served as a way to chronicle my various adventures, and catalogue all of my various creations. It has done a great job of taking macro shots, and done all right with just general photography. Long distance and low light photography were a bust though.

One big drawback for the past year has been the fact that the LCD screen on the back has been damaged. And this is what I’ve had to look at.
I must have bumped it against something hard when I had it in my pocket. A small bit of damage appeared, but I could still access most of the controls. After my water logged adventure on the North Mountain, water must have gotten in and damaged it even more. The pattern I saw, looked like a culture spreading across a petri dish. And it changed over time as well. 

Not being able to see the picture I had taken wasn’t so big a deal, since I uploaded pictures on to a computer shortly after taking them. In order to take a photo all I had to do was point it in the right direction and click. Usually a few to make sure I got it all. Sort it all out later. But not being able to access the controls anymore was an issue. I remembered the button sequences to get to certain things but other features had become inaccessible. 

Well I just got a new camera. (More to come on that.) And I can now happily roam all through the controls, see what I’m shooting, see what I shot. Yippee!

But as annoying as that oddly shaped and coloured glob was, I kind of liked it. I have a thing for accidental art, and this was an interesting image that was created without any intent. I’m sure I’ll use it in some bit of graphic art I do at some stage.

But it has got me wondering. There are protective covers for lenses. Why doesn’t something similar exist to protect the LCD screen? If I bumped it and damaged it, I’m sure others have as well.

2 comments:

  1. When I make the switch to digital camera’s, in 2003, I started also with a Fuji FinePix camera.
    I used the S304, looked a bit like a SLR model but took great pictures.

    Two years later something similar happened to my with the LCD screen. Only this was caused by the fact that I forgot to take it with me from the car. The screen was damaged by the heat!

    Anyway, I decided to by again a SLR camera simply because I missed the opportunities that comes by the SLR camera’s.
    Professionally I always used Nikon F2 and F3 camera’s but there was no need for anymore.
    Therefore I bought a Canon EOS 50D with a aluminium body. Still take great pictures with it, but my wife wanted to have a Canon Ixus 210. I can tell you that I use that more often than the big camera.
    It’s more handy in daily use.

    But,….I still use the program on the computer that came with that little Fuji camera, FinePixViewer.
    No fancy complicated stuff, just a simple handsome tool like that works great.

    I’m very curious about your choice of camera you bought. I’ll guess it will be small again and from a high quality.

    Your commend about cases for lenses but not for LCD screens is right. But you're probably able to make something yourself. By reading the articles you've written about the gear you make and remake to meet your needs I’m certain you come up with something that fits into one of your belts or backpacks.

    But today is the summer solstice, so happy birthday Thomas.

    Kontarena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      The camera I got was a gift. A Samsung ES70. Friends kept chuckling at me over the fact that I couldn’t see what I was doing.

      Similar idea, a point and click. I know it’s not “the best” camera out there, I realize its limitations, but it’s still a great camera. I am still floored by how little time it’s taken for so many great features to be packed into such a tiny package. Even a few years ago I wouldn’t have thought it possible that a package the size of a deck of cards could do what it all does. I can record two hours of decent quality video on it for heavens sake. More than anything I am absolutely amazed by the fact that something the size of a postage stamp can hold 10,000 pictures or 8000 songs. WOW!

      I am looking to get a more professional camera soon, but friends with bigger, better cameras, still profess their love for their little point and click cameras. They’re light, small, discreet, convenient, and all things considered, they still take pretty darn good pictures. I realize the limitations of that Fuji camera I had, and there are times when I wished it could do more, but I think I managed to get some really great shots with it.

      There are little covers for the lenses - you squeeze the sides and off it comes. I wonder why they don’t have a similar thing, a rectangular one for the LCD screen on the back.

      This new camera came with some software, but I haven’t bothered to load it on and I likely won’t. The software I have on my Mac works fine to offload the pictures and I do any and all editing in PhotoShop anyway. I’ve found that anytime I rotate a picture in one of those little picture viewing programs, when I load it up later to a website it re-rotates it. I’d rather avoid any hassles and just do it in PS right from the get go.

      I have a GSI N-Case 840 and it turns out that it holds the new camera perfectly. No shifting, no rattling, and it’s waterproof. I will carry it in there to hopefully prevent the LCD screen from getting wrecked. Now I just need to sew up a little case to carry it.

      Bye!

      Delete