Sunday 20 June 2010

S.o.t.D. – Escarpment Blues – Sarah Harmer



Spend any amount of time reading here and you’ll come across mentions of the Niagara Escarpment. I can see it from my window and I always love wandering along it, under it, over it. 

Sarah Harmer is a Canadian singer/songwriter. In the summer of 2005, she launched the I Love the Escarpment tour. Harmer and her band toured communities near the Escarpment throughout southern Ontario, both performing and speaking to promote Protecting Escarpment Rural Land (PERL), a conservation group she co-founded. While the immediate aim was to battle a proposed quarry development near her childhood rural home near Burlington, it was also to raise greater awareness about the Niagara Escarpment, a UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve.

A film called “Escarpment Blues” documents both the live performances and her activist work from the tour, and won the award for Best Music DVD at the 2007 Juno Awards.

I especially love the line “The wild ones won’t have anywhere to go.” I can identify with that sentiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment