Monday 7 June 2010

Signage: Varga’s Garage

I’ve got a soft spot for old hand painted signs. There was a time when real art and craft was involved in signage. I recall seeing old photos of the town I lived in circa the 1930’s. Care and effort had been taken on all the signs, each one distinct and infused with character. The current state of affairs is squashed Helvetica or poorly kerned Times New Roman with primes instead of quotes, all on a white background. It makes me really sad that we now have incredible tools at our disposal that allow ever more amazing designs and all people can come up with is banal and bland. 

I suppose at one time sign painters studied lettering at a vocational high school as part of their art curriculum and served an apprenticeship. Now I wonder whether it’s merely a recent immigrant who was a mid level civil servant back home who has to decide between purchasing a dry cleaner, donut stand or sign shop franchise. I’m not sure I can come up with any other explanation how so many signs manage to look so damn ugly nowadays. 

I intend to take photos of old vernacular signs I like before they’re all replaced by vinyl cut, condensed University Roman.

On my way to get a haircut recently I snapped these. The owner and one of the mechanics actually came out to inquire why. I guess some guy taking photos of their beat up old sign piqued their curiosity. I explained my interest and ended up having a very nice chat with the owner. As I suspected, the chances are very good that the city will buy up their business soon to tear it down for the new stadium going in. Guess it’s good I got the photos when I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment