Saturday 3 September 2011

Animals are more aware than we realize.

Whenever I visit some friends, one of their cats, if she’s outside and sees me approach, will come running. After some meowing and rubbing against my leg and letting me scratch her head and rub her belly, she’ll either follow me inside or stay outside, depending on her mood.

When I came walking up the other day, I didn’t see her. I knocked on the front door, and no one answered. I looked and she was hiding under the car. I called to her, but she stayed put. I walked over and she very hesitantly poked her head out. With a bit of coaxing and rubbing her head, she finally emerged. I heard everyone out back, so I scooped her up and walked around. I put her down, and chatted with everyone about this and that.


An hour later, we went outside to look for her, and she was across the road under a car. We called to her, but she stayed put. I walked over, and once again, she only very reluctantly came out from under the car. I picked her up again and walked her back to the house.


It didn’t occur to me until I was walking home, that we had felt the effects of the earthquake that had hit Virginia. Even several hours later, she was still really skittish, and I guess to her, underneath a car was a safe place. Maybe she could feel barely perceptible to us after tremors. Who knows. Awe inspiring how sensitive to natural phenomenon they are – and scary how not sensitive to natural phenomenon we are. It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if she was cowering under that car for a while before the tremors hit. But likely none of us would have noticed anything unusual about her behaviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment