Saturday 17 September 2011

Better Lacing and Shoelace Tying

Seems simple, but there really are better ways to both lace, and tie your shoes or boots.

The first link from New Balance, the running shoe manufacturer, but these ideas could be used in boots as well. Heel slippage, toe problems, high arch, pain on the top of the feet, and narrow heel-wide forefoot are covered.  Try it and see if it works for you if you have any of these issues to contend with. 


I used to have another way to tie laces that works well. Essentially the way most people tie their laces, but instead of one loop around their thumb before pushing the bight through to form the second bunny ear, I would wrap a second loop around my thumb. Worked well to keep it in place, and still easy to undo with one tug on the bight. But there were still occasional circumstances where it would work itself loose. Eve since discovering this site and lace tying method a few years ago, I’ve used this method instead. Easy to tie, won’t come undone and still easy to undo when the time to do so arises. And this benefits from pictures and not my half assed written description.

2 comments:

  1. New Balance does know a thing or two about boots; They're the owners of the tactical boot maker OTB.

    Good linkage... I'm curious to see if one of the differing lacing patterns can help me improve my experience with my Merrel Trail Gloves.
    I've used the "bunny ears" knot for awhile now, from shoes my western Packers and Wildland fire, Mountain and Tactical boots, but I'm going to have to try some of the other options on "Ians Shoelace" page, just for curiosity sake if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm starting to wonder if you and I might be related, Thomas. About two weeks ago I fired up Grog's animated knots and was determined to find a better way of tying my shoes. I tried the 'Shoelace Bow' (but without the the final foo-frah at the end) and that's what I've been using since. I couldn't be happier. It's sad to think that it's taken me 43 years to learn how to tie my shoes. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete