Thursday 22 September 2011

Keys to the Kingdom by Tony Meeuwissen

I was first made aware of this by a blurb about in a Sept/Oct. 1993 Communication Arts. 

Floored by it then and I’m as impressed by it now.

It has always been on a list of things I should track down and buy for near on twenty years. The page was in a folder I went through last night and realized I had to share it. 

Originally commissioned by the Victoria and Albert in 1984 to create a set of playing cards based on nursery rhymes. The project was (as you’ll see) very complex and took Tony Meeuwissen more than a year. The Museum stopped sponsoring the project. Too far into it to stop, his agent Nicholas Dawe took over the funding and five year later they found a publisher, Running Press of Philadelphia in the US, and Pavillion Books in Europe, Australia and Japan. In 1993 the Design & Art Direction Club awarded Meeuwissen a Gold Award for Illustration - the first time they had ever given out that award in their up to that point 31 year history.

I think you’ll understand why. I’m not even going to address style or technique, which is very fine. Conceptually each one of these will leave you agog.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment