Monday 29 August 2011

Greenbelt Harvest Picnic

Some friends of mine asked on FB if anyone was up for helping them with the booth they were running at the Greenbelt Harvest Picnic. Knowing I was free this weekend, and having never been to the location it was being held at (Christie Lake Conservation Area – no idea why not) up above Dundas on the Escarpment, I offered to help.

The Greenbelt Harvest Picnic was organized by Daniel Lanois, who grew up in this area. It wasn’t really anything that I would ordinarily have wanted to attend – none of the artists appeal to me that much), but I’m really glad I ended up going. I had a great time with MaryEllen and Terry and the whole event was terrific. The location was fantastic, the music was great, and it was very well organized and managed. The crowd (I was told it was about 7000) ranged in age from seniors to toddlers, and the whole thing had a really friendly vibe. The douchebag factor was completely non-existent. There was room to toss a frisbee around, you could go wandering, go for a swim in the lake, go fishing, whatever you felt like. There were vendors selling all kinds of things – art, photography, crafts; there were information booths about various worthwhile organizations and charities; local farmers were selling their wares. There were lots of great food vendors – really great food vendors. And you could buy beer. But what made it nice is that you could buy a beer – and walk around with it. Wow, talk about being treated like an adult. This provinces tight ass liquor laws have been loosened so that you’re no longer corralled into a fenced off area to purchase and consume beer. You could even buy a bottle of wine, and go back to your tent or wherever you were sitting and drink it at your leisure. Nice change.

One of the reasons the event was being held was to raise awareness of the Greenbelt, an area surrounding what is called the Golden Horseshoe, set aside by the government of Ontario, to preserve 1.8 million acres of farm and wild land. One of the farmers with a booth came up on stage and gave a little talk about food and farming, and one thing he said really floored me. Canada only produces 15% of the food it consumes. Maybe I heard it wrong and we produce 50%. It’s a frightening figure either way.

I took the bus as far as it went in Dundas and walked the rest of the way. 
Dundas Lookout, right by Spencer’s Gorge.
Climb to the top of King Street before the road hangs a right and this is the view. Hamilton way off in the distance. Niagara Escarpment on the other side of the Dundas Valley.

I wasn’t sure of exactly where to get into the park - the official entrance is all the way on the north side of the park, but I found an unmarked trail which seemed like a good prospect so I followed it. I could see Christie Lake (well I guess it’s technically more of a mill pond, albeit a pretty long one) through the trees, and kept following the trail west. The forest was beautiful, the temps perfect, not a soul around, and I could hear these angelic female voices. Lovely female harmonies wafted across the water. Turned out that it was Dawn & Marra. Talk about perfect accompaniment to a walk along a trail, the sun dappled through the trees.
I had a brochure about Christie Lake C.A. which showed a map of the trails, but in my haste to leave the house, I forgot to grab it. I was walking around slightly blind, and ended up meandering around for a while.
Neglected to take many pictures of the trail since I wasn't just wandering around for my own sake - I was going there to help friends. I had places to be, things to do.
And I also only took a handful of pictures of the lake, as I wasn’t there to lollygag for my own amusement – I was there to do something. Also didn't get any photos of the show.

Anyone in the general vicinity looking for a nice spot to take the family, check out Christie Lake C.A. Swimming, fishing, canoeing, hiking, cross country skiing, picnic, whatever you want. And I also recommend the Greenbelt Harvest Picnic to anyone in years to come. The understanding I have is that it will become an annual event. Professionally run, nice vibe, family friendly, great location, fantastic food, good music. Totally nice day. Definitely check it out.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice photos as always. Looks to be a very pretty place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I’ve never checked it out before. I will be back for sure.

    ReplyDelete