Saturday 13 August 2011

MiiU.org - a wiki for Resilient Communities

Just wanted to give a little plug to this.

I’ve mentioned John Robb’s Global Guerrillas on here before. Tons of great info, and I’ve learned a hell of a lot reading it over the last year. (I even sent him a suggestion for something to include on the site a few days ago, and the next day there it was. Hee hee.)

I have an interest in knowing how to keep my ass alive out in the woods, and have strived to become as proficient as I can in that regard over the last few decades. Another interest I have is in weathering potential disasters and mishaps that might occur in my regular day to day life. I’m not naive enough to think that everything is hunky-dory in the world, or that things couldn’t turn really ugly really fast if a calamity occurred. 

I’m a member of a few “preparedness” forums and have checked out quite a few others. Some are fantastic, and some are filled with complete asshats. There seems to be that segment of delusional dreamers just hoping, praying for the zombie apocalypse so they can run for the hills and live out their Mad Max fantasies. Yeah whatever. I always have to laugh at the “where can I find some BDU pants with a 54" waist?” questions. Uhm, maybe instead of more guns and ammo, some of your preparedness plans might consist of some exercise?

I’m much more interested in the idea of resilient communities. I think a whole bunch of things are headed down the pipe that will make this way of doing things not only more attractive and feasible, but also necessary. People working together to make their communities not only better places to live in the short term, but also more sustainable in the long term.

Robb established this wiki recently, devoted to that very idea. As the site states:
“Our goal is to build a picture page for every object, place or skill related to Resilient Communities.
A Resilient Community is a place that locally produces most of what it uses/consumes – from food to energy to products – while accessing a full range of virtual tools and resources.
We’re aiming to share a full range of resources to help resilience emerge.
Resilient communities and personal resilience are going to be critical as we head into an era of global economic turmoil, shortages, and political failure.
Hey, we’re not trying to be excessively gloomy here, but the financial crisis of 2008 should be proof enough that this is not only possible but probable.”


I’ll put on my thinking cap and pull together some articles to contribute in the next little while.

3 comments:

  1. As usual...you find some of the coolest stuff. I had no idea that guy existed. Did a quick scan and foresee quite a bit of reading in the future there.

    On a side note...can I at least drop a super-charged engine into an Aussie Ford Falcon? Please? That would rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, but if I hear you calling yourself the warrior of the wasteland or the ayatollah of rock and rolla, I'll be gravely disappointed, and you'll make me have to unleash my dogs of war.

    Yikes, considering I can quote lines from it, maybe I've watched it one too many times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumbled across Global Guerrillas somehow a while back and really liked what I saw. LOTS of great stuff to be found there. His thinking seems to be very in line with my own. He acknowledges the things that are wrong in the world, but also strives to offer solutions to fix them. I find it really inspiring.

    ReplyDelete