Tuesday 19 April 2011

S.o.t.D. - Dust (original mix) – Psychick Warriors ov Gaia

Dust (original mix) – Psychick Warriors ov Gaia

Oh sweet mother of god does this bring back great memories! Quite possibly one of my favourite pieces of music ever.

Off of 1993’s first Trance Europe Express compilation. It had a load of great tracks on it, including Orbital’s Semi-Detached, but this track in particular totally did my head in. I got this just before I went to South East Asia, and this was most definitely part of the soundtrack.

In 1996 a magazine I was writing for asked me to go and interview these guys. They were playing at a Trancendance rave, on my birthday no less. I had a press pass, and got there well before the event was supposed to start. I had no idea what they looked like. I see three tall guys, and another tell tale clue.
“Hallo. Jullie zijn denkelijk Psychick Warriors ov Gaia?” (I assume you’re....)
“Ja. Hoe wist je?” (Yes. How did you know?)
“De Hema tas.” (The Hema bag.) They burst in to laughter.
I had one just like it. A sturdy canvas bag with leather handles, and a flat bottom with a wood plank in it to give it form. Made a perfect bag to carry records in, which is what one of them was doing.

We went in to a quiet room and had a great conversation for the next hour and a bit. Later I got to see them perform. Fantastic. Then I immediately went in to the other room to see the equally fantastic DubTribe play. That and a few other things, made for a really terrific birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment