Wednesday 6 April 2011

FreeHand Job

Years ago when I was living in Toronto, one of my room mates did a lot of work with a place called Freelancers Unlimited. They seemed to keep her pretty busy and she was very happy with the arrangement. On her recommendation I went down and signed up with them.

She let me know that they were looking for someone who had a lot of experience with Aldus Freehand. (Actually this was shortly after Adobe had bought Aldus. {It is (or was) a superb vector drawing program, infinitely better than Adobe Illustrator is.}) I fit the bill perfectly, so I called them up to inquire about the job.

“Hey James, it’s Thomas, Dawn’s roommate. I was just calling to ask about that FreeHand job?”

I hear Dawn and her husband Martin in the other room laughing.

Afterwards they came in still laughing. “Don’t you realize what you said?”

I probably looked a little baffled. “No.”

“You called about the FreeHand job.”

Blank look from me.

“Free. Hand. Job. Get it. Freehandjob.”

I got it at that point and laughed. “Oh, geez.” But of course, I would have said FreeHand, job, not free, handjob. Didn’t catch the drift straight away on account of that.

Anyway, no harm seemed to come from it, since I got the job.

But Dawn still loves that story and tries to milk it for everything it’s worth. Bugger.

And all I have to say is that FreeHand, rooollllzzz!! FreeHand jobs  are pretty great. Free handjobs, well, I guess they’re pretty great too...

1 comment:

  1. Oh yeah! This had me cracking up when I read it. I think you just hit on the new ad campaign for freeing FreeHand from Adobe. How about this:

    "Free FreeHand from Adobe and enjoy more FreeHand Jobs"


    www.freefreehand.org

    ReplyDelete