Sunday 4 October 2009

Hitchcraft – Hang’mups – EDC Module

I have a bit of an interest, some might call it a fixation, with how to carry stuff. How to have needed things accessible, yet be comfortable to carry, and still be secure.

There are always a few things that I find handy to have in my day to day goings on. A pen, keys, nail clippers, tweezers, a lighter, a flash light, etc. Carrying things loose in a pocket is just asking to lose things.

I’ve tried having a bunch of gadgets on a key ring, but I just found that way too lumpy. I knew I wanted to be able to carry it in a pocket, but I had an idea for something that was a lot more streamlined. The idea formed in my head and this is the end result.
I decided to try a paracord hanger, made with a snake knot. I started with one of these hooks, which can also be found in sailing shops. The 550 cord came from Supply Captain (I used +- 4.5 meters (15') of it). The small split key rings and the McGizmo clips came from Lighthound.
I ended up weaving and re-weaving this a few times to get the placement and arrangement just right.

Working down from the top: 
Fisher Trekker Space Pen – Probably the most used item. I put it right at the top so that it can hang out above the top of my pocket. Many times I find myself needing it frequently, and being able to access it easily is nice.
Fenix L0D – Superb single AAA light with several output modes. I have a large split key ring on the end to act as a thumb loop. Only 7.35 cm long and 1.4 cm in diameter, by twisting the head you get five output types: 25 Lumens (which runs for 3.5 hours), 9 Lumens (which runs for 8.5 hours), 75 Lumens (which runs for 1 hour), Strobe, SOS. At its highest setting it’s brighter than a 3D Maglite! (review of it here.) (And  MagLite keep on selling the Solitaire like it’s something to be proud of.)
Ronson refillable lighter – Not really sure which model. Looks a bit ghetto since I had to duct tape a piece of cord to it to be able to hang it. It may not be pretty, but it works. If I find something sleeker, I’ll use it. In the interim, this will suffice.
Gerber Nail Clippers – Best nail clippers ever. Gerber doesn’t manufacture them anymore, (although you can still get them from the link I provided), but the German kitchen knife manufacturer, Zwilling J.A. Henckels, does make something similar.
Uncle Bill’s Sliver Grippers – Spend any amount of time around wood and you’ll understand how handy these are. Useful for more than just removing splinters though, including finicky detail work.
Pill Fob with Aspirin – More for giving to someone if they’re having a heart attack, but also just for its analgesic properties. I’m going to get another pill fob and fill it with Benadryl for someone that may be having an allergic reaction.
Wrist Loop – Good place to store it when not in use.
Jumbo Spy Capsule/Pill Fob – I carry……candy in there. Annoyingly squeaky when opening.
And on the bottom I have a larger split key ring that I clip my bundle of keys to.
As of this writing, I’ve been using this set up for about 2½ years and I’m really happy with it. What started as a feasibility study, proved to be a solid idea.
The whole thing weighs about 200 grams. Very comfortable to wear – I really don’t feel it at all. And like I said, I’ve been wearing it every day for 2½ years. If I’m wearing light pants, it tends to jingle a bit, but when wearing heavier pants, it doesn’t jingle at all.

In this photo you can also see the wrist loop I did up attached to the bottom.

Perhaps the only “downside” to it is that the flashlight, from getting battered around, either gets turned on (which if I’m fortunate I’ll notice the light shining though the material before the battery is drained) or I’ll reach in my pocket and find the bezel and the battery in the bottom. I know to check the flashlight often. There is a certain point the bezel needs to be turned to, to prevent it coming undone, or turning the light on. So certainly not a “huge” concern, just something to be aware of.

And here it is with the Hang’mups – Survival Module.

1 comment:

  1. And if all else fails... Self defense tool. You could knock someone into next week with one of those.

    ReplyDelete