Tuesday 6 October 2009

Octortopoise

I’ve had this Camelbak Thermobak since ’02, and it’s a good bit of kit. In ’06 I decided to modify it to create a small day pack / grab it and go bag out of it. In its original form, it was only a carrier for a water bladder. What I wanted was something that I could attach to my main pack and detach it in a hurry. It would have to carry (in addition to the water) some form of expedient shelter, ie a poncho, and some other miscellaneous survival stuff. Water filter, woobie, a days worth of food, signal kit, etc. Just stuff that if I went on a day hike, I could just grab it and head off. If I was to get hurt or get lost, I could spend the night out and do okay.

Oh and the name comes from my nephew, who saw it in a way that likely only a 3 year old can see the world.
“It looks like an octopus turtle, uncle Thomas.”
I looked at it and realized that he had a point. With all 8 straps hanging down, and the panel looking a bit like a carapace, I had to concede that his observation was a very astute one. I combined the two and came up with the name. Thanks Anand.
What it looked like originally. I added the bunjee cord myself, so I could lash a rain jacket under there.

First step was to remove the handle.
The next step was to add eight straps, and 4 SRB “repair” buckles. The straps are what the floating panel would be attached to. The buckles are what would attach to the PALS (Pouch Attachment Ladder System) on the larger pack.
Closeup of the straps on the bottom. I figured out where they had to go, marked it, cut a slit just wide enough, turned the bag inside out, inserted the straps, held them in place with binder clips and sewed them down.
Next came the floating panel. The poncho and woobie would be lashed under the panel, and then pouches would be added to the front to contain the other necessities.
Closeup. (Oh yeah, I should mention that this whole thing was sewn by hand on the commute to work. :-} )
Another close up of the PALS webbing on the panel.
View of the under side of the panel.
Close up view of the underside of the panel. The on off sewing act as very simple drain holes.
I decided I may as well utilize the panel as a map pocket as well. About 5cm from the top is the entrance flap.
Close up of the map pocket opening.
Showing the inside of the map pocket.
Another view down along the map pocket.
My little pal Meemers checking things out.
Some views of the panel attached to the straps of the body.
A view of how much room there is to put stuff between the body and panel. Of course I will never have that much stuff in there, but I’d rather have lots of strap to grab on to and pull.
My trusty old Dutch army poncho. It’s older than I am, but still going strong. Works as a poncho, I can fashion a shelter from it, a ground sheet, a stretcher, etc. Since the point when I made this I have relegated it to the pile of back up gear. I got something a lot less bulky and a lot lighter. It’s served me well for a long time, but it weighs a kilo and that is too heavy.
The poncho under the panel.
Strappage.
Radiation seeped into the Exploriment laboratories and this mutant monstrosity was born.
Scientists at the Exploriment laboratories have been closely observing this new mutant creation.
They have learned that it can shed the carapace.
Molting complete, it slithers away to whence it came, the overflowing gear locker.
A closeup of the quick release buckle.
One of them I screwed up slightly. The right hand side should have been in front of that little flap of cordura on the right hand side there. Since it had to be turned completely inside out in order to sew it in place, I didn't notice that error until I was done. Not a biggie, but still one of those "Doh!" moments.
Strap monster.
View of the side with with poncho strapped in the middle.
View from the top.
Another view with the poncho in place.
Shot of the very handy little GrimLoc I use to keep the drinking tube attached to the shoulder strap.
 A shot of the GrimLoc opened.
 All in all, not a bad idea, and I think the execution of it worked fairly well. After using it for a while, I realize that I need to add some sort of closure on the top. If I have too much weight attached, it starts to really pull at the top. I also know now that I really can’t add too many pouches to the outside, especially near the top.

I think after trying this out for a while, that I might just have to design something else entirely, something that’s essentially just a small one compartment pack that all the needed stuff fits in. And I think that instead of a bladder I’ll just go with a 1L Nalgene bottle. I think a bladder will go in my main pack instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment