Saturday 10 October 2009

Hammock – Escarpment

Set up along the Niagara Escarpment to get out of the rain. Not quite as secluded as I would have liked, but I needed to get sheltered, and I was reasonably sure that I was the only person crazy enough to be out in those conditions.
I needed to get water, but the rain kept coming down hard. I decided to wait for the rain to abate a bit, but it never really let up. Not to mention that I could see the water that was roiling in the streams was getting muddier as it went on. Decided just to put my collapsible sink and a Nalgene underneath the points where the water was streaming off the tarp. Worked beautifully. No squatting awkwardly by a stream, trying to balance a bottle. In an hour and ten minutes I had collected 6 liters of water. Kept transferring it into a 3L Camelbak, until it was full, then another Nalgene, then the other Nalgene, and then let the sink fill up. Much cleaner then the water I would have gotten from a stream.

No comments:

Post a Comment