Saturday 17 October 2009

Words of Wisdom from a 4 Year Old – Life and Death

Kali was getting old. She was 16 and sadly, deteriorating rapidly. Andrew sat Anand down and tried to gently break to him the fact that she likely wouldn’t be around that much longer. He told him how sometimes when cats got old they went to the veterinarian and while they were there, they fell asleep and didn’t wake up. He seemed to understand, and didn’t seem too terribly upset.

I was over there later that evening for dinner.

“Mommy,” he announced with some gravity. “Kali is gonna go for a slumber party at the vegetarians house. She’s gonna stay there for quite a while. There’s other cats there too.”

I quickly chomped down on my cheek, and also stuffed my knuckle between my teeth in an effort to prevent bursting into peels of laughter. I could see his parents also struggling to keep a straight face. I had to stand up and walk into the back room, hands clamped over my mouth so I could laugh as silently as possible.


I guess at day care he had learned about the concept of a slumber party, where you go to someone’s house to have a sleep over, and guess he somehow figured it was kind of like that.


And who knows, maybe he’s absolutely right. Maybe she really would go to a giant feline slumber party, where a benevolent vegetarian would act as host and benefactor. I kinda hope so.

2 comments:

  1. Hope that vegetarian has a ton of yarn, 'cause (s)he probably wouldn't let our dear kitties play with mice. And lots of high-ground for them to peruse the goings-on. Don't know about Kali, but my cats don't visit, they preside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah. A never ending ball of yarn. A bottomless stash of catnip. A bowl of food that never empties. A litter box that never gets filthy.

    ReplyDelete