Monday 14 February 2011

Dig’mups

Very simple pouch I made for a folding trowel. From Lee Valley, but this particular trowel is no longer available. (If you can’t tell from the picture the pouch that came with it was a really pitiful afterthought.)
I can’t tell you too much about it. Who made it, where it’s made, what it’s made out of, etc. In the years I’ve had it, it has served its purpose just fine. I won’t be digging up pirate treasure or burying a body with it, but for what I’ve done with it, it’s been okay.
One handy feature is the fact that it locks at a 45º angle. This has proven useful when constructing dakota holes.
The locking mechanism has proven durable up till this point, but I wonder how much abuse it could really be subjected to. It is always going to be the weak point in anything.
I know there are those who will argue that you don’t really need a trowel, that all you need is a stick that you cut at an angle that you use as a digging stick. Piss off. That may be fine when all you want to do is form a divot in the ground, but if you have to actually move some earth, it’s ludicrous. Whenever we go canoeing, Jay and I always, at every site we get to, clean out and rebuild the fire pit. Most of them contain huge piles of ash that needs to be cleaned out. I don’t see myself doing that with a angled stick.
A neat feature of this is that the handle is hollow. I chose to put strike anywhere matches in it.
Simple, not very pretty, but it works. CLASP on the back.
The trowel can be put in either front or back facing.

It’s about 5½" high, 2½" wide, and about 1½" deep. Made from 1000D and 420 D Cordura.

I eventually want to get a U-Dig-It trowel to replace this one, as I’ve heard nothing but good things about it, but for the time being this will suffice.

3 comments:

  1. It reminds me of the few Ipoods we have. They also have hollow handle but its bit lighter and not that rugged as yours is. But for burying some poo,its better than bare hands :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nicely done!

    over the years i have destroyed a wide variety of digging tools.

    but not the carbon steel hori hori from lee valley.

    my wife's abused tool is about 10 years old. while my coddled one is about five. both dig great holes, lever stones and cut roots with impunity.

    the only digger that has lasted longer is a surplus army folding e-tool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Nicely done”?
    Who are you? Jian Ghomeshi?

    I have one of the hori hori's and I too like it a lot, but it is a bit large and heavy to lug around in the bush with me. Shame, cause you’re right - it does a great job of hacking through roots, moving earth, leveling ground to put a stove on, etc. - all the things I need it to do out in the bush.

    I want to get one of the iPoods just because of the incredibly clever name - although Apple has forced them to change it - dicks.

    ReplyDelete