Tuesday 15 February 2011

ThinkHaus

I went on Saturday afternoon to check out the new digs of ThinkHaus.

It’s a communal hackspace, where a variety of DIYers can gather to use the space and interact with fellow nerdy makers. As someone who doesn’t have a lot of space, misses interaction with fellow crafty types to collaborate with and bounce ideas off of, and is really intrigued by the possibilities of the CNC laser and the 3D printer they have, I think I am going to be joining. $50 a month is pretty reasonable for the possibilities offered. The focus there seems to be more towards the electronics/software/computer hardware end of it, something I am not so into, but that’s fine. I’m always open to learning anything, and perhaps I can teach others some of the skills I have acquired. While I probably have my own unique take on the whole DIY thing, I think a lot of good can come of people with divergent interests and techniques coming together and interacting. 

A few crappy pictures I snapped of the space.
Some simple electronics projects for the young’uns to try out.
Some of the lockers where tools and supplies are kept.
The laser/CNC room.
The equipment inside the laser/CNC room.
And what was being done with the laser. Logos etched into chocolate. Cool!
A 3D printer being constructed. A 3D printer is being used to create this, and when it’s done, another 3D printer will be made with it. It may as well be milled from blocks of pure awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment