Monday 28 February 2011

S.o.t.D. - Reflector - Medeski, Martin & Wood

Reflector – Medeski, Martin & Wood


I’ve been peripherally aware of these guys for a long time. Know people who really like them. I’m sure I’ve heard them at some point on the radio. Sort of a jazz influenced jam band I guess. But for whatever reason, they slipped under my radar.

While at the library the other day, the cover of End Of The World Party (just in case) caught my eye. Like the cover, maybe it’s time I check these guys out.

Oh do I feel silly now. I really like this record. It’s like these guys have a stew pot of influences and have been letting the various flavours blend into a really tasty creation.

Jazz, blues, funk, folk, psychedelia, dub, rock, electronica. Quite a blend of instrumentation as well. Some tracks will feature say a Wurlitzer and electric guitar, others will feature horns and a piano, and other will feature synths and a stand up bass. The switchups in genres and instruments I really dig, and I really dig what they do. I’m sure some deride them as nothing more than a noodley stoner jazz/rock band, but that is not a problem for me.

Clear the decks! I am definitely going back to the library to see what other MMW recordings they have.

No comments:

Post a Comment