Friday 4 February 2011

re: Snug RePurposing or Patchy Crafts

In my pile of projects to work on were some embroidered Snug logos that had come off old clothes. I had the intention of making some patches out of them.

I’ve been sewing hook Velcro on the back of my patches for years, so that I can swap them around. I have loop Velcro on packs, hats, pouches, coats, and I can change patches around to suit my mood.
Sun & Moon on Kifaru XTL
Tibetan flag on Kifaru Scout
Tyrrell Corporation logo on MagPul cap
NASA patch on Slurp’mups
This one came off of the top of the hood on a hoodie. The hoodie itself was destroyed, cuffs frayed away, holes worn through on the arms, rips and paint splatters all over it. 
I serged the edges by hand while I read The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell (recommend all his books). Since the material is a soft flexible cotton, it ended up a bit warped.
I knew sewing the Velcro on the back would stiffen it up a bit.
Still not perfectly straight, but better.
On the lid of a Kifaru Express
This one came off the back pocket of a pair of convertible pants. The bottom leg portion was way too wide and short, so I just took out the zipper and used them as shorts. But they too were pooched after a dozen years of wear. Like the hoodie, I retained this part of them to transform into patches.
This material was much stiffer, so it retained its form better.
Serged and sewn by hand while reading The Farfarers by Farley Mowat (speculative bu fascinating).
On the Map’mups.
Snug lives on!

No comments:

Post a Comment