Monday 17 January 2011

Snug Dalek Bag

A friend recently gave me this Snug Dalek bag.
“The Velcro is gone. Maybe you can take it apart for the material.”
Since Snug is no longer a going concern, and since I’m not in dire need of straps or buckles, I figure bringing it back to life might be more fun. Neat little bag, and it seemed a shame to take it apart for parts.
This Velcro was still okay.
This Velcro was pooched though.
I opted to go with a 2" Fatsex buckle instead.
Since my friend burns scads of Nag Champa, the smell had totally soaked into the bag. It sure smelled nice while I worked on it.
One of the neat things about Snug was that almost everything they made had a hidden compartment. For your...spy gear.
Zippered compartment on the back.
Velcroed compartment on the front flap.
Utterly crappy picture of the main compartment under the flap. (I’ll put up a better one.)
The bottle compartment beside it, which isn’t covered by the flap. Large enough to hold a 1 liter Nalgene bottle.
Bottle holder on the back, which will hold a 350 ml/500 ml bottle. 
A little pocket for...cell phones, pens.
Little decorative touch.
One thing that always impressed me about Snug were little touches, that were actually fairly involved. Tags of varying complexity, and here they have have their name woven into webbing. Most would have been content with seat belt webbing, but these guys went quite a bit further.
I always really dug what Snug were doing. They tackled a variety of things. Pants, shirts, coats, skirts, dresses, bags. And they did them all with panache.

In an era when a “clothing line” seems to consist of little more than silk screening a logo onto some hoodies, these fellas had an actual clothing line. Cool designs with really swanky touches.

I doubt I’ll really ever carry this bag around, but I do appreciate it. I’m sure I can find someone who was around in the halcyon days when Snug was a big deal in the scene up here in Canada who would appreciate it more than I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment