Saturday, 15 January 2011


I’ve done a little writeup of this Sigg bottle, a reproduction of an old Swiss canteen.
I have a few gripes about it, but honestly I do still like it a lot. A good size, not as bulky as a full 1 liter Nalgene bottle, the cup, while I don’t think I’d necessarily trust it to boil water in, is great just for drinking a cup of tea or coffee (or a post tattoo shot of Zubrowka) from. And I just plain like the look of it.

Anyway, I had the idea to make a pouch for it, and I did just that.
A yoke across the top, PALS on the back, drain hole on the bottom. I was using up some scraps to make this, so I utilized some 1050 denier ballistic nylon on the bottom and 1000 denier Cordura for the body.
I realize now that the two straps for the retaining yoke should have been angled inward towards the center a bit in order to make them fit more snugly. Meh, I guess that’s all part of the iterative process of developing something. It’s not a deal breaker or anything, the bottle is not going to come flying out because of it, but it would have made it a little nicer.
And turned inside out.
The bottle beside the pouch. I measured it so that the pouch comes to just above the rim of the cup. If I were to make it again, I would make the pouch just a smidgeon taller.
And the pouch with MALICE Clips.

Oh, and wait for it, I sewed the whole thing by hand.
Here it is mounted on the Maxpedition Manta.

No comments:

Post a Comment