Friday 14 January 2011

Emdom B.O.M.B.

This is one of two medium sized/second line first aid pouches I have. (The other one is a Maxpedition FR–1.)

The Emdom B.O.M.B. is, like all of Emdoms offerings, a well made and well thought out pouch.
On the front of the B.O.M.B. I have a Tactical Tailor Strobe/Compass Pouch and an Emdom Grobes Pouch.
The dimensions of the pouch are 17½ cm (7") x 12½ cm (5") x 7½ cm (3"). (The same dimensions as the Maxpedition FR-1.)
The weight, unloaded, is 187 grams (6.6 oz).
The Emdom Grobes Pouch can hold six extra-extra large nitrile gloves, although it’s quite puffed out at that point.
The gloves can be accessed either via the slit in the front or via the top flap. Personally I wish the flap on the Grobes was all encompassing - coming down over the sides as well, with Velcro going all around to offer a better closure. (The name “Grobes Pouch” comes from a post on Lightfighter where a Japanese airsofter came on asking “I found out that those SF ( Journalist assume those are Green Breat or D-boys. ) are useing same Grobes w/ stripe. What is maker and item?” Much hilarity ensued after that.) 
The TT pouch will hold an H&H Primed Gauze and a roll of 2" Kerlix. 
Alternately, it can carry a 4" Israeli Dressing.
The front PALS webbing can also be used for tourniquet holders.
The interior, filled and empty.
Along the back are two 2" elastic bands.
On the front is a pocket, and two 2" doubled (one atop the other) 1" elastic bands, two 3" doubled 1" elastic bands and two 2" doubled 1" elastic bands.
The pouch turned inside out.
Like the Maxpedition FR–1, the PALS on this was only two channels wide. I opted to change it to be three channels wide, so that the middle channel could serve as a holder for a pair of crash shears. A piece of ½ inch webbing is woven between the webbing.
To complete it, I added a fur coat closure system. (They’re called “fur clips” (pelzhaken in German). Prym makes it, and the product code for it in black is 416502, although it is also available in brown and beige.) The ring was sewn between the two ends of the ½" webbing, and the metal clasp was sewn to the top of the pouch. Works beautifully. Easy to flip open, even with gloves on. Getting the shears back in, the webbing and eyelet through the handles and closed again is smooth and hassle free.
Another change I made to it was the hold open cords. Originally it was a loop with a cord lock. It allowed the pouch to be opened to whatever setting the user wanted. Flopped all the way down, opened just a bit, whatever. I found it a little too fiddly and knew that I just wanted it to open about 90°. Cut two pieces of 550 cord to the right length, knots in the ends, and presto. If I decide that I do actually want it back to the way it was, no big deal. Grab a length of cord, a cord lock and set it up the way it was. But this works to my liking.
 Another addition was some PALS webbing on the bottom for the addition of a tourniquet holder.
There is a 550 loop in the top which is perfect for tying in a roll of Transpor tape.
Another addition I made was to sew in an Uncle Bills Sliver Gripper. It’s an item I find myself accessing with some regularity and I like having it right up in the top, where it’s easy to get at.
  1. Laerdahl Face Shield
  2. Pill Pack
  3. Ace Bandage/Tensor Bandage
  4. 22 ml (3/4 oz.) 10% Povidone-Iodine Solution
  5. 12 cm x 22 cm (5" x 9") Abdominal Pad
  6. 1 packet of 2 5 cm x 5 cm (2" x 2") gauze sponges
  7. 2 packets of 2 10 cm x 10 cm (4"x 4") gauze sponges
  8. 4 Tubular Gauze Finger Dressings
  9. 1.5 g (0.05 oz.) 1% Povidone-Iodine Ointment
  10. 10 ml 0.9% Sodium Chloride
  11. 4 Finger Cots
  12. 2 Povidone-Iodine Prep Pads
  13. 25 CC Irrigation Syringe
  14. 10 cm x 10cm Sterile Trauma Burn Dressing (Burnshield)
  15. 5 cm x 15 cm (2" x 6") Sterile Trauma Burn Dressing (Burn Free)
  16. 7.5 cm x 7.5 cm (3" x 3") Sterile Pad
  17. Biohazard Bag
  18. 2 Benzalkonium Chloride Pads
  19. Wound Closure Strips
  20. Tourniquet
  21. 5 cm x 7.5 cm (2" x 3") Non-Stick Pad
  22. 2 10 cm (4") Compress Bandages
  23. 102 cm x 102 cm x 142 cm (40" x 40" x 56") Triangular Bandage
  24. 2 Anti-Microbial Hand Wipes
  25. Sting Stop Pad
  26. Mole Skin
  27. 6 Bandaids
  28. 4 Knuckle & 2 Fingertip Bandages
  29. 4 Fingertip Bandages
  30. 4 Knuckle Bandages
  31. 4 Blister Dressings
  32. 4 Kids Bandaids
Missing from the picture are the
Crash shears
2" Roll of Kerlix
or Israeli Dressing

If anyone wants a closer look at anything:
Top Left
Top Center
Top Right
Bottom Left
Bottom Center
Bottom Left
(It might have been smart of me to take everything out of the plastic bags so that I didn’t get that glare. D’oh!)


The little 10 ml bottle of Sodium Chloride is kind of neat. Can’t remember how I got it, but wish I could find some more. Handy for wound irrigation. Granted I have an irrigation syringe, but I suppose for small kits, they could be useful. It’d be even better if they came in a few different sizes in that type of packaging.
The tourniquet I got from the good folks at Optactical a few years back. Compared to what is out there now, it’s positively primitive. I have one CAT Tourniquet (light years ahead of this - thanks Yeoman!) and hope to get another or maybe a SOFTT soon. But for now, it’ll stay in there. For the sake of thoroughness, I figure I’ll show it anyway.


Of the two medium sized pouches I have, I like this one a bit more, but only by a slight margin.

I think pouches like this are designed more for blowout kits, rather than as general purpose first aid kits like I have it here. Getting at all the small items in here is a bit problematic, as it necessitates taking many things out to get at one item.  
Oh and the B.O.M.B. beside my Ouch’mups to give a sense of the size difference. I found myself needing more than I could comfortably carry inside the B.O.M.B. without it becoming an overstuffed, organizational nightmare, so I built it.

1 comment:

  1. Nice kit. Where are the patches from? Also I can get you NaCl bullets. We use them at work and they come in a 10ml syringe and are great for irrigation.

    ReplyDelete