Friday 21 January 2011

Smack Sack 1

I don’t spend a whole lot of time thinking about “self-defense.” Partly because I live in a fairly safe city in a largely safe country. Partly because I’m a really big guy. Luck of the draw, good genetics, whatever, but a guy my size gets left alone. Partly because I know how to protect myself. And partly because I’m extremely aware of my surroundings and I trust my instincts. While I don’t obsess about the topic, I do think it is important. And I also realize that not everyone is blessed with the size and strength and agility that I have. I understand that not everyone has worked as a bouncer or had the chance to practice a variety of fighting skills.

I was discussing the issue of self defense with a female friend a few days ago, and one of the issues that came up was self defense implements as an equalizer and their legality. (I tend to take a staunchly libertarian view and think an individual should be allowed to own and carry anything they want. But of course, the powers that be, figure that by outlawing certain items that can cause harm, it will prevent people with evil intent, predators for all intents and purposes, from utilizing them. It never does stop them of course, but maybe it makes people feel better to know that they’re outlawed. Don’t even get me started about countries like the UK who have outlawed not just tools like knives, but essentially outlawed what is a fundamental human right, the right to defend oneself from predation by victimizers.) Sadly, a lot of things that could potentially protect a woman from a rapist, or ward off a mugger are frowned up on in many places.

I’m interested in items that are essentially common, every day objects that can do double duty to defend oneself if necessary. While I always have a knife on me, it is probably the last thing I would ever consider using if confronted by someone who wanted to harm me. I have a very bright flashlight that I could blind an opponent with, and also use as a striking implement. And yet, there is very little that a law enforcement officer could say against it. A bunch of keys on the end of a lanyard. A pen. 

Beside the legality issues, there is also the aspect of training and fine motor control. The average person doesn’t spend years training in martial arts or to deal with the stress inherent in a life or death struggle. Most people would undergo all the classic symptoms involved in a fight or flight scenario, and expecting them to be able to manipulate tools isn’t very realistic.

I saw this money pouch from Fred Perrin a few years ago and figured I would make one like it one day. That day was yesterday.

Not only is it an every day item that can be useful in daily use, but it could also be used to ward off an attacker. Filled with five dollars worth of quarters, it can be effective in warding off the attack of a cretin when cracked across his skull or into his knee cap. Walking along late at night, even if a police officer has cause to stop you, what can he say? “I just had this change purse in my hand to pay for a pay phone call/parking meter/cup of coffee.” And yet if walking along and a skell attacks you, it requires the most simple of motion to deploy.
Before turning it inside out. Made from some scrap 500 Denier Cordura.
I thought it would be okay width wise, but when I turned it inside out it was way too thin. Change can go in and out, but not easily. If you wanted to actually use this as a day in, day out change container, it would be really aggravating.
Decided to use red paracord and grey hardware to offset the black.
If the cops ever catch you with a sap, you are deep shit. A lead filled leather pouch as the potential not just to hurt someone, but a strike in the temple could easily kill. This isn’t so different. Yet it occupies a legal grey area. If it prevents a friend from getting raped or robbed or killed, my conscience is clear.
Fits discreetly in the hand, yet it comes out in flash.

Since it’s too narrow for my liking, I’ll make another one tonight a bit wider.

2 comments:

  1. i like your name for the elongated coin purse. just be aware that in some jurisdictions it is illegal to HAVE one and in others to USE one,

    that said, i make mine from leather with double stitched seams.

    you're correct in thinking that yours is too narrow, more because of the wound it causes than the difficulty in filling it full of coins.

    as you experiment, you might google german geldsacks. i've made a few for folks who asked for them. they work well as belt wallets and as thumpers.

    you do nice work and have some clever ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words and the advice.

    ReplyDelete