Sunday 6 February 2011

SteriPen PreFilter Cartridge Pouch

I’ve got a SteriPen that I have some misgivings about, but willing to try out some more in the interest of fairness. One component of it that I really like and will continue to use even if I decide not to rely on the SteriPen at all anymore is the pre-filter, that screws onto the top of a Nalgene bottle. Even if I use another form of water purification, the pre-filter will save a lot of wear and tear by filtering out particulate matter that tends to clog up other purifiers. This thing is much easier to clean.
I want to have all the water stuff together. I’m making a pouch for a Nalgene bottle that will allow me to carry it all in one place. When I’m out hiking, especially in summer, it’s not uncommon for me to go through 6 to 12 liters of water a day. I’m stopping frequently to refill bottles and bladders. I want the tools required for procuring water to be easy to get at. I figure that having them attached to the outside of the Nalgene pouch is the way to go.

I’ve made a pouch for the SteriPen, and a pouch for the batteries that it takes. The pre-filter comes in two pieces - the base and the cartridge. The base (which I’ve cut the top threads off of - never going to use them, and it reduces size and weight) fits nicely over the top of the Nalgene bottle with a CapCap.
The cartridge however is a bit tricky. It’s something that I think requires a bit of protection. Not super fragile, but not exactly something I would want to bash around very vigorously either. My main concern is the mesh (which is actually kind of hard to see in this picture), which might get punctured if you’re not careful.
I opted to make a pouch with neoprene to offer a bit of padding.

I made this very quickly and to be honest, I’m not too happy with it at all. But that is all part of design - sometimes it doesn’t work. Sometimes it requires a few attempts and some failures before it clicks. That is part of the enjoyment and part of the frustration of designing stuff. I also think showing that process is worthwhile.
Since this is likely to be opened and closed numerous times in a day, I didn’t want to use Velcro as it will wear out too quickly. It’s fine on the battery pouch, since it will only be opened once in an infrequent while. But here Velcro was not a good option. Also, given the relatively small size, other closures proved too big. I decided to give this closure off an old Canadian army pouch a shot.
I put a piece of mesh on the bottom so that the water could drain out after use.
The tricky thing is always getting it the right size. I always opt for slightly bigger of course, but this time my calculations were off and it is just too big for my liking.
Just once I’d like to sew CLASP on and not have it look so shitty. I console myself with the knowledge it’s going to be unseen when mounted, but still...
Meh. Too large, too crappy. Back to the drawing board.

No comments:

Post a Comment